I need to come up with interesting things to say on a daily basis and that is no easy feat--it actually requires I lead a more exciting life and take time to make myself better informed and generally more interesting. That though is just fuel for a metaphorical fire, what can be hard is starting it! I have ideas... plenty of ideas to expand on here, but getting my hands on this keyboard and having those thoughts flow eloquently through my fingertips and onto Blogger's clean white page is never easy. Writer's block is a real thing, but it isn't some mystical force that gets in your way... its fear,and getting over that fear is the kindling and tinder needed to get those fires of creativity roaring.
The good news is, fear is easy to beat, as a writer. Start writing, badly, and keep it up until you start writing well. Just as the best method for overcoming stage fright is spending time on stage, the best medicine for a stumped writer is more writing.
That's what today's blog is, by the way. My practice run. Normally, as a terrible perfectionist, this warm up gets thrown out, tossed aside, and the words that follow are saved... not today. Tomorrow you'll get the brilliant, eloquent (as if) words I am about to write, but to show off my method for overcoming that fear I'll give you this today.
If you, like me, have made some half hearted commitment to starting a blog and keeping it up with daily posts, fear will get you at some point. You'll sit motionless with your hands above the keyboard waiting for the ideas to flow and they just won't... when that happens you should write, like I have today, about whatever is on your mind. And maybe it'll be decent enough to post.
-UTC
No comments:
Post a Comment